“Life is too short not to be happy.”
This is Mrs. Melissa Ovitt’s favorite quote and it isn’t too hard to see why. After all, optimism and joy are essential for what she does: wrangle a classroom full of PreK3 students alongside Ms. Becky White, her equally sunny teaching assistant.
Spend just a few minutes in the PreK3 classroom and you will quickly realize how much patience, happiness, contentment, and love Ms. Melissa has for both her students and for what she does every day.
“I always knew I loved the community at Academy as a student, but I didn’t know that it was possible to love it more as a member of the faculty,” Ms. Melissa said. “The more time I spent subbing at Academy last year the more certain I was that this is where I wanted to teach. All of the teachers and faculty were incredibly welcoming and supportive.”
Ms. Melissa’s approach to teaching PreK3 students is completely aligned with the school’s mission in the best way. For her, it is all about introducing the love of learning through play, joy in the journey each day as she introduces early developmental skills in fun ways, and giving each child the kind of comfort and attention a mother would. After all, her students begin as young as 2 years old, and for many, this is their first time away from home.
Her own son attends Academy at the Lakes…and so did she. Ms. Melissa graduated from the school in 2004.
“It is such a surreal experience to now be colleagues with my former teachers. I couldn’t be happier to be a member of the Academy family as a teacher,” Ms. Melissa said. “I love being part of a community that understands learning is an individual process and that each student will have a different experience. I wanted to make sure my son was given the best foundation and as an Academy alum, I knew this is where he should be. Choosing a school for my son was about so much more than just academics. I want my son attending a school that focuses on the whole child and Academy is that place.”
- Color: Blue
- Animal: Dolphin
- Kind of Music: Country
- Food: Sushi
- Villain: Gru from Despicable Me
- Superhero: Elastigirl from The Incredibles
Finish the Sentence
- My favorite subject in school was …science, I always loved the hands on aspect of completing labs.
- When I was in fifth grade, I wanted to be a …Pediatrician.
- I love when my students …greet me with a smile, it makes my day!
- I love teaching at Academy at the Lakes because … of the community. At Academy every student and teacher is truly valued and are completely involved in all of the
- When I am not at school, I like to… read and spend time with my family on the lake. I love watersports, especially wakeboarding and it’s so great to see my son enjoying the same activities.
- The best advice anyone ever gave me was… life is too short to not be happy.
- If you could have any super power, what would it be?
Flying, it would be so nice to not have to drive anywhere.
- If you could interview anyone, alive or dead, real or fictional, who would you interview and what would your first question be?
My Dad, he passed away from cancer when I was six. I would ask him to tell me about himself, it would be nice to learn about him from him.
- If you could have any artist (alive or dead) draw a picture of you, who would you choose?
- If you could live the life of any fictional character, what character would you choose?
Ariel from The Little Mermaid