Alumni Class Notes

alumni class notes

Alumni can submit your Class Notes here.

Sophia Sokolowski ’12

March 15, 2017

Current: Policy Analyst, Biden Policy Institute (Based in Washington, D.C.)
Former Cancer Research Training Award Fellow at the President’s Cancer Panel; White House Intern for the Cancer Moonshot
B.A. in Biological Sciences and Psychology from Wellesley College ’16

Katherine Boyd ’15

March 9, 2017

Katherine “Kat” Boyd ’15 and fiancé, Robert Rodriguez, welcomed their son, Jaxsyn Avery Rodriguez, in September 2016. Katherine continues to pursue her undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences at the University of South Florida: Tampa.

Monique Montoute ’14

March 7, 2017

Hi everyone! I am currently spending my junior year of college overseas in Europe. Last semester, I spent 1 month in Berlin and 4 months in Bremen, Germany at Jacobs University both learning the language and meeting people from all over the world. I also continued my studies in Neuroscience and interned at a Dialysis Clinic for a hands on medical experience. This semester, I am fully immersed [in Spanish] at the University of Córdoba in Spain, primarily taking courses in linguistics. Alongside my studies, I am embracing the culture and participating in “fútbol,” learning how to dance the “Sevillanas,” and taking lessons in Flamenco Guitar.

Imani Thomas ’17

February 28, 2017

Imani signed a letter of a intent to play basketball at Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Florida.

Cheyenne Lilienthal ’17

February 28, 2017

Cheyenne signed a letter of intent to play tennis at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York.

Darin Kilfoyl ’17

February 28, 2017

Darin signed a letter of intent to play baseball at St. Johns River State College in Palatka, Florida.

Lulu Santiago ’16

January 30, 2017

Lulu Santiago-Kane ’16 married Michael Kane.

Alex Gittens ’13

March 1, 2017

Alex recently applied to numerous Chemistry PhD programs and was accepted to Johns Hopkins University, Texas A&M University, Emory University, Georgia Tech, Georgetown University, the University of Maryland: College Park, and the University of Florida.

Eric Velt ’04

Eric got engaged last December, bought his first house, and is waiting on closing. He is completing his Master’s degree in the Art of Teaching from University of Southern California.

Lee Emery ’05

Lee graduated from veterinary school at the University of Tennessee and got married to a fellow classmate, both in May 2013. He then began radiology residency in July 2014.

Ryan Staples ’08

Ryan was accepted to the University of Oregon’s MBA program in Sports Business. The Warsaw Sports Marketing Center is ranked as the top program in the country for those looking to get into sports business. An estimated 25 of 400 applicants were accepted this year.

Jared Freedland ’09

Jared graduated from the University of South Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Finance.

Miranda (Steinman) O’Brien ’09

Miranda married Matthew O’Brien on November 8, 2013. That year, she also graduated from the University of South Florida with a Bachelor of Science in Public Health. She earned the highest GPA in her class, and the highest GPA for Public Health in school history. She is currently working on her second Bachelor’s degree, this time in Dietary Nutrition, at the University of North Florida, and will graduate in 2018 with her second Bachelor’s degree and her first Master’s degree simultaneously. She currently works for Landstar as a Freight Broker, but also recently created a bowling e-commerce business website at TDbowling.com, where she works with professional bowler Tom Daugherty. While her second job, it is her dream hobby to be working in the bowling industry.

Daniel Pitcairn ’09

Daniel married his college sweetheart on June 8, 2014 on Yale’s campus in New Haven, Conn. in the presence of friends and family. He and his wife both graduated from Yale in 2013. They now live in an apartment in Washington, D.C.’s Dupont neighborhood, where he works as a researcher for Atlantic Media’s federal government and defense publications (Government Executive and Defense One). In the fall, he’ll begin a Master’s program in Eurasian, Russian, and Eastern European Studies at Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service. He hopes to join the U.S. Foreign Service upon graduating in 2017.

Abby Shapiro ’09

Abby received her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from the University of Minnesota in May 2014. She is now a mental health counselor for adults with severe and persistent mental illness and substance abuse issues.

Vinutha Rattehalli ’09

Vinutha began Dental School at Boston University Henry M. Goldman School of Dental Medicine after graduating Cum Laude from The University of South Florida Tampa with a B.S. degree in Biomedical Sciences and a minor in General Business Administration. She will be heading back to Boston in July to finish her DMD degree. This past year she has been taking graduate level courses in biological sciences, fashion business courses, and working as a freelance fashion illustrator.

Zack Wheeler ’09

Zack interned with the Potomac Nationals, the Carolina League champions minor league baseball team, in Virginia.

Jon Berry ’10

Jon graduated from Massachusetts Maritime Academy, and is now an Operations Logistics Supervisor for Marshalls (TJX Corporation). After travelling around Europe for 35 days, he came home to survive the worst winter in Boston history.

Michele Goodman ’10

Michele graduated from Florida State University in spring of 2014 with a Bachelor of Science in Criminology.

Matt Grossenbach ’10

Matt graduated from the University of Florida in 2014 with a B.A. in English, and a specialization in Film & Media Studies. He began working at Academy at the Lakes as a substitute teacher, advancement associate, and assistant varsity boys basketball coach in August 2014. In one of his proudest moments, the basketball team went on to reach the state Final Four that season.

Elysa Geldbaugh ’13

Elysa traveled abroad to Amsterdam and Berlin during a 2-week summer course.

Colleen Davis ’14

Colleen qualified for Winter Guard Independent World Championships, which will take place in April 2015.

Jordan Levine ’11

Jordan Levine ’11 passed away on April 4, 2015. He was 22 years old. Jordan joined the Academy family in the second half of his junior year. He graduated from Academy in 2011 with 29 classmates. While only at AATL for one full school year, Jordan was involved through athletics in his senior year, and his outgoing personality found friends right away. He continued to be involved with Academy years after his graduation.

Daniel Kwitko ’08

Daniel graduated Summa Cum Laude, with a perfect 4.0 GPA, from the University of South Florida where he was also a King O’Neal Provost scholar.

Jason Giglio ’10

Upon graduating from Arizona State University in May of 2014, Jason moved to Oakland, CA to work in the National Football League. He has been working as the Coordinator of Corporate Partnership Services for the Oakland Raiders since July 2014.

Jason Pitcairn ’11

Jason moved to Washington D.C. following a 12-day hiking trip along the Colorado Trail.

Max Stepanets ’15

Max is currently at Alma College in Michigan. At the time of this submission, his preseason football camp was just about ending after 2 weeks of intense practices and workouts.

Haden Polizzi ’05

Doing great! Still living in the area. Serving as your local real estate expert.

Matt Grossenbach ’10

Living the life – coaching basketball and getting a graduate degree in at The Citadel in Charleston, S.C.

Nadia Naviwala ’02

Still living in Pakistan. Writing about development politics and working for The Citizens Foundation.

Rachel Sledge ’13

Freezing at Appalachian State, studying exercise science and beginning my thesis! In my free time, I train and compete in triathlon, road cycling, and cyclocross.

Alex Burnham ’14

Hey everyone! I’m studying English and applying to the theatre program here at Florida State University this semester. I joined an improv sketch comedy group on campus this year, and I am currently participating in what is formally known as ‘No Shave November.’ Unfortunately, I have a while before I can join the bearded ranks of ‪Jason Pitcairn‬‬‬‬ or ‪Jalex Stark‬‬‬‬. Hope all is well!

Ryan Staples ’08

Recently got married. Living in Eugene, Ore., currently. Attending the University of Oregon for my MBA degree with a focus in Sports Marketing and Sports Business.

Vinutha Rattehalli ’09

Living in Boston, Mass., while attending dental school at Boston University. I’m also actively involved in several student organizations and try to volunteer whenever my schedule allows! In my free time, I love exploring new cafés around the city with friends, illustrating fashion, (Instagram: @illustrationbyvi) and pinning too many things on Pinterest!

Marie-Christine De Romagna ’14

Hello everyone! I’m currently studying communications and media studies with a marketing minor at Stetson University. I am a student ambassador getting paid to recruit students for Stetson U. I am the marketing chairman on the executive board for Varsity, a student-led organization that maintains and creates traditions and spirit on campus. I was an orientation leader this past fall. I am in an a capella group called Treble in Paradise, led by Mrs. Judy Kent’s daughter. I am a cheerleader for SU, and I have recently joined the wonderful sorority of Zeta Tau Alpha, and I am running for a Panhellenic position as well as the position of director of our philanthropy. Loving the fresh weather and hope you’re all doing well!

Cody Diaz ’13

Working for music promotion in Nashville and going to Belmont!

Nick Valadez ’12

Hey all! I’m currently on assignment at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, N.C. I’m going to paramedic school here and returning to my unit back in Fort Bliss in six months.

Ethan Haslam ’15

I’m still playing basketball and going to school at the University of South Alabama so things haven’t changed much.