March 12, 2020
Dear Academy Community:
These are indeed historic times. The COVID-19 pandemic is an event that we cannot ignore. It is an event we have been preparing for, and it is time to implement our plans.
Though we have no knowledge of any cases of illness or exposure inside our school community, we understand that we have an obligation to the broader Tampa Bay, Florida, United States, and world communities to keep the spread of the virus to a minimum during these key early days. As such, we will activate our e-learning plan and conduct school remotely for the initial two-week period of March 16 – March 29, 2020. During that second week of “virtual school,” we will assess and communicate the viability of a return to in-person gatherings on Monday, March 30 for the week of school prior to our scheduled spring break (Saturday, April 4, through Monday, April 13).
- All in-person activities scheduled for this period of “virtual school” will be postponed or cancelled (our All-School Musical and House Day will be postponed, athletic contests and practices are cancelled, athletic schedules are being revised).
- You will receive more detailed communications from your Division Directors and classroom teachers in the days to come about how each class will communicate assignments and deliver curricular experiences.
We have been planning for this possibility over the past few weeks, and we are well-prepared to move forward with remote learning.
Further, in the name of the safety of our community:
- Please notify us if someone in your household becomes exposed to (or contracts) the virus.
- We highly discourage non-essential travel.
- Before we return to in-person school, we will ask each family to share their travel history (for the recent time period). We reserve the right to require a quarantine period if family members have travelled to places that are deeply impacted by the virus.
We trust that you will see our decisions as measured, prudent, and pro-active. The social distancing we cultivate through this course of action is in the best interests of the broader communities to which we all belong. It is part of our civic duty. We are well-prepared and well-situated to be the good citizens we aspire to be. Esse quam videri.
We are not going anywhere. We are not shutting down. We will be creative, communicative, and responsive. And we will remain a big part of your family’s life during this important period of time.
Thank you very much for your understanding and support. I will be in touch again next week.
Head of School